Astoria & Warrenton - Oregon Coast
Astoria in Clatsop County is found close to the mouth of the Columbia River, only a couple of miles from where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean. The name was received after the fur trader John Astor, who was one of the first European settlements in the Northwest Pacific whose company founded this fort, in 1811. The Columbia River was discovered a few years earlier, in 1792, by captain Robert Gray, and was named after his ship.
Today, tourism, fishing, logging and light manufacturing make a major impact into the economy of this area. The Port of Astoria has been welcoming cruise ships from around the world since 1982.
The town with rich Scandinavian heritage each June holds the Scandinavian Midsummer Festival.
Warrenton is located 8 miles west of Astoria across the Youngs Bay bridge. The first name of this area was Skipanon, and in 1899, it was incorporated as a city of Warrenton.
Astoria Local Attraction
This tower is 125 feet high, 600 feet above sea level, and has 164 stages twisting up it. The perspective from the highest point of this tower is certainly justified regardless of the stroll up and offers excellent views of both the town and the sea.
1 Coxcomb Dr, Astoria, OR 97103
Riverfront trolley offers nice rides for $1 in a completely restored trolley from 1913, which will give you heaps of fun data about the zone.
Columbia River Maritime Museum
The museum, founded in 1962 by Rolf Klep, has a rich maritime collections: exhibits and artifacts. Try at navigation with the tugboat simulator, listen to U.S. Coast Guard rescues' recordings, and explore a floating lighthouse. Visitors of all age have the opportunity to learn history of the Columbia River region.
Fort Stevens State Park
The fort was named for the first governor of Washington territory Isaac Stevens. Built in 1864, the fort was an active military reservation until 1947. In 1955 Fort Stevens State Park was opened for public.
Fort Clatsop National Memorial
Fort Clatsop National Memorial is a part of the Lewis and Clark National Park. In 1805-1806, during an overland expedition to the Pacific Ocean, Lewis and Clark camped for winter months at Fort Clatsop.
Flavel House Museum
The museum is example of Victorian-era, or Queen Anne architecture. The house was build in 1886 and belong to one of influential 19th-century citizens Captain George Flavel.
There are no upcoming events.