The oldest of the remaining covered bridges in Oregon, the Drift Creek Covered Bridge, was constructed south of Lincoln City in 1914 over the Drift Creek on the main road along the Oregon Coast. The bridge was destroyed by floods in the 1930s and later in 1933 rebuilt.
By this time the American road system has evolved and new roads, highways, and bridges were built. The Roosevelt Military Highway or Highway 101 was constructed in the 1920s; the Salmon River Highway or Highway 18 was built in 1932. An alternative concrete bridge crosses the Drift Creek in 1960.
The Drift Creek Covered Bridge was preserved as a historic monument dedicated to Lincoln County pioneers and used for pedestrian traffic. Due to the deteriorating and dangerous conditions, the bridge was closed in 1988.
In 1997 local residents and land's owners Laura and Kerry Sweitz offered to move the bridge to their Rose Lodge property located at the Bear Creek. With the help of the Sweitz family, many fundraisers, and volunteers the historic covered bridge was reopened for the public in July 2001.
The Drift Creek Covered Bridge was added to the National Register Places in 1979 and later in 1998 removed.
Region: Central Oregon Coast • USA
Nearest Town: Lincoln City
Architectural Design: Howe truss
Stream: Bear Creek
Length: 66 ft (20 m)
GPS coordinates: 44.9918,-123.8938
Directions to Drift Creek Covered Bridge
Take Highway 18 toward the Oregon Coast and follow approximately 15 miles to North Bear Creek Road (milepost 5). Turn left onto North Bear Creek Road and continue 1.2 miles to the destination on the left.
Address: 1111 Bear Creek Road, Lincoln City, Oregon 97367