Warrenton is situated eight miles west of Astoria across Youngs Bay, discovered in 1792 by the Vancouver Expedition and named after the Youngs River. The river, in turn, was named after British Royal Admiral Sir George Young. There are two bridges both designed by a bridge engineer Conde McCullough that connect Astoria and Warrenton. Built in 1964, the west New Youngs Bay Bridge, a vertical-lift bridge is the 0.8-mile (1.3 km) long and is a two-lane part of US Highway 101. Eastern approach is the Old Youngs Bay Bridge built in 1921. This is a drawbridge or bascule bridge (allow boat traffic) with total length 0.3 miles (538 m).
Warrenton includes the former villages - Flavel, Fort Stevens, Hammond, and Skipanon. According to Susan L. Glen,
"Located near the mouth of the Columbia River, Warrenton, incorporated in February 1899, is a city comprised of many earlier towns and villages. Hammond, although still having a separate post office and zip code, was merged with Warrenton in 1991. Fort Stevens, now an Oregon State Park, is located near Hammond. Lexington was the first county seat in Clatsop County until the county seat was vacated on December 4, 1879, and moved to Astoria. Skipanon, located near the same site as Lexington, was also annexed by Warrenton. Flavel, along the Columbia River between Warrenton and Hammond, was an active port for the Great Northern Steamship Company. It was annexed by Warrenton in 1918. Warrenton-Hammond documents each of these towns as they grew and became the present city of Warrenton."
Warrenton is a home to Fort Stevens State Park where you will find historic military sites, Peter Iredale shipwreck, and Coffenbury Lake.
Region: Central Oregon Coast • USA
Population (2016): 5,282
Area: 17.66 mile2 (45.74 km2)
Elevation: 8 ft (2.4 м)
GPS Coordinates: 46.1657, -123.927
Zip Code: 97146
Average Winter T°: 44°F (7°C)
Average Summer T°: 59°F (15°C)
Things to Do and See
Fort Stevens State Park
Fort Stevens was named for the first governor of Washington territory Isaac Stevens. Built in 1864, the fort was an active military reservation until 1947. In 1955 Fort Stevens State Park was opened for public.
Besides military sites, 4,300-acre Fort Stevens State Park is home to the large campground, the Coffenbury Lake, and the Peter Iredale shipwreck. There are also miles of wide beach, hiking, and biking trails.
South Jetty & Clatsop Spit
The 9.7-mile Oregon South Jetty system (North Jetty on the Washington side) was built between 1885 and 1895 to design a safe navigation channel from the Pacific Ocean to the Columbia River. A giant sand Clatsop Spit is located on the northwestern edge of Fort Stevens State Park.
Drive from the Fort Stevens Park entrance 3.9 miles to a parking area C at the jetty. The 20-foot viewing platform provides an impressive view of the ocean, waves in action and busy navigation traffic along the South Jetty.
Fort Clatsop National Memorial
A part of the 3,200-acre Lewis and Clark National Historical Park, Fort Clatsop commemorates and preserves the important chapter in American history. In 1805-1806, during an overland expedition to the Pacific Ocean, 30-member Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery camped for winter months at Fort Clatsop, while preparing for their return journey and gathering information on resources, land and native inhabitants.
Two parks along the Cullaby Lake - Cullaby and Carnahan County Parks offer boating, picnicking, hiking, and swimming. The lake located along Highway 101, 6 miles south of Warrenton.
Festivals and Events
Astoria Warrenton Crab, Seafood & Wine Festival is hosted at the end of April.
Astoria Scandinavian Midsummer Festival is held in mid-June.
Civil War Reenactment in Fort Stevens State Park takes place at the beginning of September.
Great Columbia Crossing 10k Run/Walk Event in Astoria takes place in October.